Document Report/Overview update

Work has been continuing on this new feature. And it’s coming along quite nicely once I’d got past some severe head-scratching bits where I had to liaise with my Australian guru (Ken Endacott) about why code to export to a Word document that worked fine in one of my Excel projects, just wasn’t working as I’d expected it to do in Word. Got there in the end 🙂

Each function that lives on the ribbon of the Toolbox, there’s an InspectXXX function that works out the details and populates a list box on the respective form. What I have to do is unravel this inspection code from the form, put it into a separate module and then recode it so that the same information is now sent to an array instead. The form’s listbox is then pointed at the array and likewise the report code can also see and extract information from the array.

So far I’ve managed to port across the Comments, Bookmarks and Sections code so that either the form or the report can access them. These were picked as they’re slightly smaller than the others, such as the Image and Shapes code. In total, there’s another 7 or 8 forms and/or functions that need converting. The report can also be exported into a PDF file too.

It’s slow going, but I’m getting there.

My Word Toolbox has been reviewed in Micro Mart …

… unfortunately it’s the very last issue of Micro Mart that will ever be published.

I’ve got fond memories (from my Atari ST days) of trawling through every issue of Micro Mart looking through the adverts. Many of my early friendships are based on those early days of disk-swapping with other people who advertised in the small ads of Micro Mart. It’s probably why I ended up with so many floppy disks of Atari ST demos and other types of public domain software. Plus it helped me to distribute the stuff that I was coding too!

Anyway, I digress. I’d like to thank David Hayward for reviewing my Toolbox for this last ever issue and I’ve uploaded a copy of the article (PDF format) on my Other Articles page.

It will be sad to go into W H Smiths tonight and pick up a copy of the last issue of Micro Mart. It’s certainly the end of an era.

Replace Styles function added to v1.86k

The ability to easily replace style x with style y has been on my To Do list (on my Trello board) since June of 2015.

After some screen estate jiggery-pokery, I made some room for the function on the Styles tab within the main Toolbox. The Total label and field have been removed from Styles, Breaks, Comments and Bookmarks and instead now appear in the main frame’s title on each tab.

You now see two drop-down boxes which list *every* available style in your document. Select the old style, e.g. Heading 2, then select a different style in the other checkbox and click the Replace button. Depending on the size of the document and how often the old style is used, the style replacement is done as quick as possible.

The latest beta version can be found on the usual DropBox links.

Blwyddwyn Newydd Dda! (Happy New Year)

As this is the last post on this blog for 2015, I’ll make it a short one.

Although some of you around the world have already ‘seen it in’, I’ve still got 7.5 hours left before I can raise a glass and say Happy New Year!

I’m taking a short break from my Word Toolbox. That gives me some time to work out which are the next functions to implement and which ones need some optimisation (or not).

Toodle pip and chin-chin 🙂

Tweaked Custom Styles UI

Here’s the replacement UI for the old Custom Styles screen.  This is still classed as a WIP purely because I’m awaiting feedback from my colleagues as to what else they would like to be able to see appear in the list box.

tweakedcustomstylesui-15082014

You can remove Custom Styles as before but the additional feature is that you can also toggle the styles ‘Automatically Update’ status.  Select the style(s) and click the button.  Much easier than having to wade through Word 2013’s Style Gallery, find you custom style, then right-click on each of them to see if you want it and/or want to have Automatically Update switched on 🙂