After reaching the giddy heights of v1.80m due to a few tweaks and minor bugs found (some by myself, some by my tame tester and work colleague, Holly), I’ve started work on getting it ready to be released for v1.81.
There’s not that many *new* features to go on about, but there’s a lot of bug fixes, speed increases and other stuff.
- The field scanning routine within ‘Fix Fields’ now completes in seconds when it could take up a few minutes in the previous versions of the add-in.
- A lot of code changes to older routines which seemed to escape my previous attempts at bringing them all into line. This meant a lot of changes involving the ‘With’ and ‘End With’ to shrink and speed up the code.
- One of my VBA gurus (Ken Endacott) pointed out that my ‘Mark Comment As Done’ button was based around a command that only exists in Word 2013. So some extra tweaks were added to this function to check which version of Word you’re running. There’s a new “Delete All Comments” button too.
- Some of the functions weren’t using the “check document’s protection level” code. I could have sworn they did .. but they all definitely do now.
- The Custom Styles inspection function has been tweaked. The GUI now displays the Base Style and In Use status of each custom style and there’s also a Total Number Of Styles counter.
- I’ve added a simple “Please Wait” sub-form which appears when I’m calculating stuff in the background. This was prompted by Ken Endacott who pointed out that he had no idea if it was his document causing the slowdown or my code. Ken supplied some example code which I’ve adapted.
- A daft error in the Configuration GUI whereby I’d set it as a single-selection listbox, but my code thought it was a multi-selection listbox. Oops!
- A few other mini bug fixes were done but I’m just too ashamed to admit to them here. But they are covered in the manual 🙂
All being well, once my bug testing colleague is back in work, I’ll do some final tests and get v1.81 released at some point next week.